Monday, December 02, 2002

Throwing Toys
Ever since I moved into my house about a year ago I keep finding toys and other strange things littering my yard. I knew they were coming from next door, but what I could not figure out was why. I remember playing in my backyard as a child, and sometimes toys would one way or another end up over the fence in the neighbours yard. We would run around and retrieve them right away, sometimes we would knock on the neighbours door to let them know, sometimes not. It depended on the neighbour. I assumed the kids next door would be playing, somehow the toy would end up on my side of the fence, and perhaps they were scared of me or something so they would not retrieve it. Then I got to thinking that perhaps the older kids were throwing the youngest childs toys over the fence because they were being mean to him. I got in the habit of tossing the toys back over the fence. Every couple days I would do a once over of the yard and find a few balls, an action figure, and perhaps a toy car. I'd toss them back over the fence and go about my merry way. Last Saturday I was in my yard and I see a small ball. I look next door (its a chain link fence BTW) and see the youngest child staring at me. I smile and wave and say "did you lose your ball? I'll get it" and I tossed the ball back over the fence to him. I went into my garage to get something out of my car, and when I walked back through my yard the ball was there again. I looked over at the kid and said "did you lose your ball again? I'll get it" and tossed it back over the fence. As I approached the back door of my house I looked over my shoulder and the kid and thrown the ball back into my yard. I didn't know what to do at that point so I ignored it and went inside. Now I'm thinking the kid just wants someone to play with, probably because his idiot father doesn't pay any attention to him.

No comments: