Saturday, March 06, 2010

EVERYTHING IS BIGGER

The month of February passed with no updates thanks to my business travel schedule. The worst part is I am just getting started. I've been back and forth to our offices in the USA a few times over the past 4 weeks and more still to come. I also apparently have been tasked to visit our offshore facility in Manila in order to help with some planned Q3 expansion of my existing campaigns.

I spent last week in Texas, land of Beers, Steers and Queers. I ate plenty of steak and BBQ, enjoyed several local micro brews, my favorite being Shiner Bock. Long gone are the days of American beer being like making love in a canoe. Sure there is still plenty of piss-water varieties available should that be to your liking but every time I visit the USA I stumble across more and more great brews.

Some other favorite Yankee breweries of mine (in no particular order):

The food was great, and I even made it to a big steakhouse that served USDA Prime, and while it was a good steak (18oz Porterhouse Med-Rare) and no offense to Texans, the best steak I have ever had is still the one served at Cabana Las Lilas in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I made the drive from San Antonio (where I was staying) up to Austin, TX to catch some live music and the buzz of 6th Street, which is a hotbed of bars and live music. As cool as I found Austin to be I could not live there. To many @#$%ing Hipsters. If I was 15 years younger I would probably think differently. I did catch several different Rock/Blues and Country bands as I wandered around. Also picked up a Keep Austin Weird t-shirt.

Also while in Austin I visited the Museum of the Weird, which is really just the back half of a store that sells some curious goods, souvenirs, etc. The museum itself is a collection of old-style "freak show" memorabilia like two-headed cows, mermaid skeletons, etc. The kind of stuff that P.T. Barnum would have exhibited at a county fair back in the 1800's. I would recommend you buy a t-shirt here (free admission) otherwise its $4 to get in and the "museum" really only takes about 20 minutes.

And just to tie this post into what my blog theme is supposed to be about:

This guy in California is facing $1,00 fine and 6 months in jail because he replaced his front lawn with wood chips and drought-resistant plants in an attempt to reduce his water bill. You would think that in California that sort of progressive thinking would get you a tax break.

No comments: