Sunday, November 24, 2002

Yard Waste
I spent a most of yesterday afternoon working on my yard, trying to get everything done before the winter hits for good. I managed to rake up all the leaves, clean out the flower beds, and mow the grass one last time. My stupid neighbours wife came out and mentioned how nice the yard looked when I was done. I think she put some pressure on her husband because today he is out raking up his leaves, etc. He didn't bother mowing his lawn, but its just a carpet of broadleaf weeds anyway, I don't think there is any grass left at all. He is outside right now jamming all the leaves into several plastic garbage bags, which I predict will sit on his front lawn until next spring. Why? Because the city recycling bylaws state they will not pickup compostable material unless it is in a paper yard waste bag or reusable containers. My neighbour must know this, as the bylaw was passed 3 years ago and they advertise it everywhere from flyers in your mail to advertisements on public transit and television. He is just too lazy and stupid to go out and buy some paper yard waste bags, which are available at every hardware and grocery store in the city. They don't cost that much (I think I paid $1.99 for a package of 6) and we should really all do our part to reduce the amount of waste we put in the landfill.

No comments: