Sunday, March 09, 2008

SPRING BULBS & SUBPRIME MORTGAGES

Today the family and I went to visit my wife's parents. After dinner my wife, sister-in-law, and mother-in-law pulled out a catalog and starting figuring out what spring bulbs they were going to order via mail from some place in Nova Scotia. I was in the other room and my brother-in-law calls out to me, urging me to get back to the living room because my wife was going crazy.

"Do you realize how much they are spending?" he asks, desperately looking for support in his attempt to reduce the amount his own wife was about to spend.

"Probably around $300 between the three of them" I reply. Sure enough, I was right on the money. My brother-in-law was agast. This is a guy who watches Nascar and would not hesitate to spend money on something like a BBQ, but spending money on flowers is outside of his comfort zone. If it was up to me I would spend thousands on landscaping, as long as I don't have to spend my weekends caring for things. My wife and I have an arrangement, I take care of the lawn and she takes care of the gardens. Provided we keep to this arrangement everything is fine.

If you want to get started on your garden, check out this online Catalog of Gardening Catalogs.

In other news...

If you are like me and were a bit confused by the current subprime financial meltdown in the United States, check out The Subprime Mortgage Primer, explained by stick figures.

No comments: