Wednesday, January 07, 2009

NO DEER FOR A MONTH

The wife got mad at me tonight. I deserved it. She told me not to have another drink and I tried to sneak one. Is that one of the signs of being an alcoholic? Sneaking a drink? (Check) Drinking alone? (Check) Drinking to forget your problems? (Check).

Perhaps I do have a problem. I'm not sure. I don't think I drink excessively. I do have 2-3 drinks every night. I do this for a couple reasons. More accurately, I have a couple excuses. The first is that my job is pretty stressful right now. By "right now" I mean all the fucking time.

I don't think I really drink to forget my problems. I definately drink to relax, or to wind down, or whatever. I rarely drink to the point that I stumble around or anything like that. Its also not like I drink in the morning, or at lunch or anything crazy like that. I work long hours in a soul-crushing job straight out of Office Space and when I get home, like Peter Gibbons, I sit in front of my TV and have 2-3 beers.

Is that really a bad thing?

I drink more now then I did when I was younger. Well, college was different, but I used to drink less frequently but when I did I would drink until I was a stumbling idiot asshole. Now, like I mentioned above, I drink less but more often. Not sure the significance of this but it is what it is.

I know I have a bit of an addictive personality. Perhaps I should take a break. It reminds me of the episode of The Simpsons where Marge makes Homer promise that he will drink "no beer for a month" and he says "OK... no deer for a month".

I'm not about to say no deer for a month, but I'll try the rest of this week and see how it goes.

In other news I am currently reading "The Year of Living Biblically" by AJ Abrahms. Pretty good book, and not what I expected. Basically the author did his best to live by the rules of the Bible literally for a year. Pretty funny stuff actually.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Drinking Duff beer is what makes Homer yellow isn't it? ;-)Take it easy. enjoying your site.